Saturday, January 22, 2011

Hong Kong Day One ala Christmas Day 2010

Have been wanting to blog about my little getaway for Christmas last year.. but never found the time to do so..with work and meet ups piling up once i'm back. Wait, I was working while on holiday too!

Did I ever mention that travelling is addictive? Well it sure got me hooked. Am seriously aiming to go europe this year!

Well for all the practical reasons, we finally chose to go Hong Kong because:

1) cheap (compared to Korea, japan, Europe)
*it wasn't THAT cheap in the end cos we booked everything late :(

2) its cold (i.e. apt for Christmas)

3) good food + shopping


Tiger airways was the most affordable option :$495

First time taking a plane from budget terminal at Changi airport

Arrival at Hong Kong airport

Trains are the most common mode of transport. Very much like Singapore.


The Hong Kong airport looks pretty eh!

Notice that he arrived at Hong Kong with one bag...

That's my luggage :P


my first tourist shot

the airport express is more comfortable than the plane ride on tiger airways




Merry Christmas :)

So we arrived in Hong Kong around 12pm, and managed to find our hostel within an hour plus!

Ta-dah!

Hello Inn is located at Mirador Mansions, Tsim Tsa Tsui.

I would highly recommend any budget traveler to stay here cos the owner is a really nice guy called Ivan. He would help give directions, he speaks chinese and english PLUS, the door has this high-tech lock that requires a password or a special key to enter. Makes me feel kinda safe despite the dodgy neighborhood.



this is how small our room was. but $45 per night was friggin cheap


out on the streets!


Please dun mind the face. I had barely 3 hours of sleep the night before and was in an iffy mood.

P/s: I love my marchesa inspired dress from bysi! The 3d floral details at the bottom were what made me spend $80 on this dress. Have been thinking of ways to wear it without looking fat or pregnant and finally! I think it looks best worn under a coat, and revealing just that bit of detail





First day was lots and lots of walking, partly cos we got lost too >.<

Lots of map reading and exploring.

hmm.. we were pretty surprise to see so many malays!


and we like to refer everything we see to our past experiences in LA, New York, San Francisco, Japan, Singapore, Malaysia

And we came to a garden, the first thing weijie said was hey! this is like the eastern version of Central Park!

NOT!


We finally found the Peninsular Hotel which ade said we must must take photos with/ of!

And finally, we waited 2 hours in the freezing cold for the Symphony of Lights.

Friends, dun be fooled!! Its nothing amazing! I almost killed weijie for making me walk up and down the avenue of stars just to see some buildings doing the bat man light thing.

Not much photos for the first day, cos he forgot to charge the batteries >.<

Anyway we went to temple street after that and well, just another touristy thing that everyone says you have to do.

Headed back around 12 and even that small little room felt like heaven!

Best thing- there's HOT water for bath!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello jamie,

I'm thinking of going over to hk next month and I came by your blog. I was wondering did you book your stay at holiday inn through http://helloinn.mysinablog.com/ or through any other website?

Regards,
Torrance
virgonianbaby@hotmail.com